Our History

"The Southwick, Fishersgate and Kingston by Sea Allotment Holders and Gardeners' Society" was formed during the First World War, that is to say, sometime between 1914 and 1918, possibly in 1916. Now it is called "Southwick and Fishersgate Horticultural Society" or SFHS for short!

It is known that Aldrington, Portslade and Southwick had a flower show in 1895 as this was reported in The Worthing Gazette at the time. By the early 20th Century it is clear that Southwick had put on its own flower show. In  1910 this was held in Croft Meadow, the area where Croft Avenue is situated now, as reported in the local paper. This report also stated that there had been 4 previous shows and would therefore date the first show to 1906. 

 

It was around the First World War, that people were being encouraged to have allotments to grow their own vegetables. As a result, many  horticultural and allotment societies were formed across the country as was Southwick's.

The Society officially celebrated its' Centenary in 2018 with a party for all members and a special day trip to visit Loseley House and Gardens. 

 

Take a look at the following pages for information and photos from across the decades...

SFHS Book Banksian Medal 19.6.20.jpg

 

The Trophy Winners' Book which lists all of the winners of various trophies from 1928 to date.